Written by a woman who had very little formal education.
Receet for washing clothes
1. Build fire in back yard to get kettle of rain water.
2. Set tubs so smoke won't blow in eyes if wind is pert.
3. Shave hole cake of lie soap in boiling water.
4. Sort things. Make 3 piles, 1 pile white, 1 pile coloured, 1 pile work britches and rags.
5. Stir some flour in cold water to smooth, then thin down with boiling water.
6. Rub dirty spots on board,, scrub hard, then bile, rub cullord but don't bile, just rench and starch.
7. Spread tea towels on grass.
8. Take white things out of kettle with broom-stick handle, then rench and starch.
9. Hang old rags on fence.
10. Pore rench water on flower bed.
11. Scrub porch with hot soapy water.
12. Turn the tubs upside down.
13. Go put on a clean dress - smooth hair with side combs, brew cup of tea - set and rest and rock a spell and count blessing.
© Phyllis Ann (Starbird55@msn.com)